First Time Cental Heating

A Brief Overview

"First Time Central Heating," or FTCH, is a component or expansion of this ECO3 project in which, rather than merely replacing an existing boiler with a new one, the entire system, including boiler, pipes, and radiators, is installed.

How does this Work?

  • Only properties with an EPC rating of D, E, F or G for home owners and EPC Rating of E, F or G for private tenants are eligible for Central Heating Grants.
  • To qualify for ECO4 First Time Central Heating grants your home is required to have an existing mains gas supply.
  • This is in line with following the Government’s guideline policy in helping to phase out older 'Non-Efficient' gas boilers in the coming years.
  • A First Time Central Heating grant provides the installation of an ‘A-Rated’ energy-efficient boiler and central heating system for your home.

Your Eligibility for this Grant

  • You must ensure your loft is empty of all belongings otherwise the installation of the insulation will not be able to proceed. If the loft is converted in some way then you may wish to consider FREE Room in Roof insulation instead.

  • The loft must be accessible through a hatch and not be boarded. If currently boarded then it must be only a small area of the loft and you may wish to lift the boarding you have to proceed with the FREE grant.

  • The property should be located in England, Scotland or Wales and be heated by a gas, oil, LPG, electric boiler or electric storage heaters (ESH).

  • You must be the Homeowner, Landlord or a Private Tenant. Private Tenants must have their Landlord permission. Landlords must have an eligible ECO3 Tenant living in the property that requires insulation.

  • Also, Housing Associations can claim insulation grants if their properties are heated by any type of electric heaters and they have eligible ECO3 Tenants.

  • If your loft’s current insulation is 100mm (below joist level) then you can have it topped up to 270-400mm.

  • If you have ‘downlights’ in the ceiling under the loft then you may be required to buy £5 safety covers for each of them.